Sunday, June 16, 2013

Teacher Design and Objectives

Purpose and Design:
According to the 8th grade Common Cores Standards students are required to use knowledge of algebra concepts to help solve real world problems. In addition students, will use their knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts to identify and examine the patterns of numbers within real word context, while constructing valid arguments through verbal and written explanation. This communication of arguments and explanations will help students further refine their mathematical communication skills through these discussions by allowing them to critically evaluate their thought processes and their peers' thought process when responding to questions such as "Why is this answer valid?", "Does this method always work". These inquiry questions will help guide students in the explanation of their own thinking and their response to others. As well as aid in the development and direction of the outcomes of what students know and learn by the end of the unit. 

The following lessons on "Prime, Composite, and Square Numbers" were developed to help encourage students to inquire about the patterns and relationships of numbers, while addressing their role in a real world context. In addition, these lessons incorporate a variety of multimedia and literacy resources to help further students' comprehension and understanding prime, composite, and square numbers. 


Research Objectives:

Before beginning this unit with students there is still more information I need to research to help further my understanding of the topic. As an educator it is important that I approach this topic in a similar manner students may take when learning a new concept. Therefore it is important that I take time to enrich myself if the knowledge of the concept, while using various research objectives to guide my research for this unit. My goal is through these research objectives to help better understand the topic of the unit in a manner that will help students better understand the concepts and increase their interests. 

  • How can I help students distinguish the differences between prime, composite, and square numbers?
  • How can I incorporate multimedia to help improve student comprehension and interest?
  • How does one determine the square root of a square number?
  • How does prime factorization help students better understand if a number is a prime or composite number?
In addition, I would also consult the knowledge of my peers and instructional coach who are more versed in this topic of math than I might be. When planning a lesson or learning something new I need to have an idea of where I am and where want the unit or lesson to go. Planning with the end in mind, and not just something to fill up time until the post test. Furthermore, I do my best to incorporate students' interests and real world outcomes to help make the learning authentic and purposeful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment